Saturday, May 24, 2008

They're magically delicious

No, this entry isn't about food so there will definitely be no reference to cheese or bread. As I was setting up my bike and gathering my things together for the 342384 bags they give you

IMG_8442


I realized I have quite few lucky charms. I'm not really a superstitious person, but I've gathered a few things and would feel odd not having them.

IMG_8450


First up is my Giro di Peninsula ribbon. I've done this organized ride quite a few times and it's one of my favorites. It's pretty much chronicled my progression in this sport, starting out with the 100K and finally moving my way up to the century last year (damn you Tunitas Creek -- but you're actually not all that bad anymore).

IMG_8447


Next, my STP reflector. Two hundred and four miles in 16 hours with 6 wonderful people. There's more I could say about that experience but not enough time to do it.

IMG_8445


And lastly, my socks. Yes, I'm wearing two different socks. My Livestrong socks were gifted to my by MJ, one of my really good long standing friends, as a souvenir from Ride to the Roses. If there's one thing that I've learned from him is to keep on keeping on. This pair of socks saw me through my IM Canada bike ride and will be there for Brazil. The brown and pink superstar socks are for my #1 tri women that have seen me through the best and worst of times as we started out in triathlon til we all crossed the finish line at in Canada.

Now that I'm thinking about it, these aren't so much lucky charms, but rather reminders of how strong I've been, become and am. I've got a little over ten hours til the canon goes off. I just have to remember to hold onto all those memories tomorrow.

4 comments:

Adrienne said...

WOW girl!!!! Just wow! I'll be thinking about you.

Unknown said...

Ahhh! I love that you wore two different socks and seeing the PinkStar (superstarsuperstarsuperstar) socks made me want to cry! AHH!!! Girl!! I am so freaking proud of you! You and Mary are like the two stalwarts in the IM Canada group. I love it! Thanks for making me a little tear-eyed and nostalgic at work today.

felpaj said...

WOOHOO! the STP reflector. most def a a great memory to hold on to for myself as well. thanks again for coming up to SEA for that... we'll ride it again, even faster next time.

Nic Hunter said...

Of course you are strong - would I be friends with you if you weren't? I'm so excited for you!!!